it all started with a background that i thought was going to be for a salamander that had been calling to be painted.
this dreamy background, when done, did not call for salamander energy, though. it insisted a raven be painted on her. how was i to disagree with the muse.
so i sketched a couple of ravens and went with a morph of the two.
thrilled with my progress, i knew the energy was not where it needed to be yet, and i waited and stewed about where to go from here. i loved the background, but it was too empty. i had thought to make the raven bigger on the canvas, but decided against it for whatever reason. now i felt stuck because i made that choice.
i had a vision of a swirling aura coming from a 'marble' in ravens mouth. i knew it would take some time, getting the idea i had on canvas, and there would be no going back after doing so. it was to be many layers of line work and mark-making. those layers would dry before i could see if it was working or not. i gritted my teeth and started, letting colors dry between layers.
i had every right to be less than impressed.
better lighting would not have helped how this looked.
i'm sure someone could make this idea work. someone with more patience than i. i could not wait to see if filling it all in with smaller strokes would make it look the way i intended, it looked horrible, and i just do not have the patience to make multitudes of tiny lines.
as i was resting between layers i had the idea to add a little klimt to my raven and bring in some gold to the energy
i added gold acrylic and sprayed to let the gold drip and some of the previous color show thru. after it dried i added more gold and sprayed some more, and then added small rings of color, let dry a bit then added more gold, letting some of the still wet areas smear thru the gold. oh, lovely!
i'm *this* close to being done!
Post a Comment